Working Monday through Wednesday leaving the house at 7:30am and not getting home until 6:30pm and ensuring your tot is getting their nutrients and five a day is hard work so I like to bulk cook his meals when I can so I know he’s eating a good meal rather than shoving down nuggets and chips on those days every week (he obviously has a turkey dinosaur, smiley faces & waffles on some of those days each week, I’m no Jamie Oliver or an organic supermum)!.
My go to meal is to make Shepherds Pie, it’s cheap, easy to make & is full of veg and I consider it a ‘proper meal’, apparently Shepherds Pie should only be named as such if it contains lamb, and “Cottage Pie” usually applies to one made with beef.. But my Mum has always used beef and always called it Shepherd’s Pie so here it is..
- x1 pack of 500g beef mince meet ( I use 5% fat )
- x2 large potatoes
- x1 brown onion
- Fresh or frozen vegetables (I use Birds Eye Select Mixed Vegetables & Garden Peas)
- OXO Beef stock cube (if not already in the cupboard)
- *optional* Add a splash of Lea & Perrins Worcestershire Sauce for flavour
- Peel and quarter the potatoes and bring them to boil *optional boil carrots and mash together for carrot & potato mash*
- Brown the mince off in a frying pan adding a an OXO cube for flavour (I use 2 depending on the amount I’m cooking)
- Chop and add the onion to the mince
- Once browned off add a generous cup of frozen vegetables and cook for another 2 minutes
- Layer the mince evenly in a shallow baking tray
- Drain and mash the potatoes and scoop evenly on top of the mince meat
- Take a fork and make lines up and down the mash potato
- Cook for around 30 minutes on 200c in the oven
- *at 25 minutes add grated cheese for more flavour
Split the shepherds pie into four equal parts and keep in tuppawares in the freezer for up to a month (Frankie ate one for dinner that day hence why there are 3!)
If you have mince over from a big pack like I did, add tinned tomatoes and some tomato puree paste and stir in for a few minutes and you have another two meals to add with pasta.