I find it hard to find ‘healthy food’ appealing, I can’t stick to just meat/fish with veg and feel satisfied, a ‘chicken salad’ with lettuce, tomatoes and cucumber bores me to tears so I decided to use some of my favourite healthy staples, cucumber, sweet potato and pomegranate seeds to concoct a salad of my own.
I work Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday, which are the days I NEED to be organised and well meal prepped for 3 reasons 1.Making lunch in the mornings getting a 2 year old and yourself ready and out by 7:20am doesn’t happen 2. Working in London it is so easy to spend £5-£10 on lunch 3. Bulk prepping makes the evenings not so hectic on top of cooking dinner/bath time/bed time.
So below my easy recipe for a sweet potato salad under £5 which keeps for 3 days in the fridge:
The ingredients I used from Tesco:
- Easy Peelers – £1 for a pack
- Lemon – 35p
- Cucumber – 30p
- Large Sweet Potato – 35p
- Rice – 60p
- Pomegranate Seeds – £1
In the cupboard:
- Chia and Flax – Holland and Barrett £3.99 – high omega 3 (good for digestion, weight loss)
- Frozen peas
- Chilli Flakes- for seasoning
- Mint – for seasoning
- Pre-heat the oven to 180 degrees fan assisted (check your oven settings)
- Chop the sweet potato into cubes
- Foil the baking tray, throw on the sweet potato and spray/drizzle in oil (I used coconut oil frylight)
- Season to taste (I used mint and chilli flakes)
- Cook for 30-40 minutes (oven dependent)
- Boil water and cook a cup of white/brown rice, drain and leave to cool
- Boil peas for 4-5 minutes, drain and leave to cool
- Chop a cucumber in half, then slice length ways and throw into a bowl
- Once cooled throw peas/rice into the bowl
- Add pomegranate seeds to the bowl
- Remove sweet potatoes once cooked and leave to cool
- Once sweet potato chunks are cooled throw into the bowl too
- Add one spoonful of chia and flax seeds
- Mix in all ingredients until even
- Evenly split into three (or desired) portions
I use lemon as my ‘salad dressing’ as I love citrus, I also added easy peeler oranges into the salad on the day I eat the salad otherwise I find it leaves a bitter taste.
Let me know what you think by leaving a comment.